Between the ongoing COVID-19 crisis and seismic shifts in consumer behavior, retailers have their hands full. Yet, they’re also facing cookie deprecation and increased eCommerce competition, making every move critical. However, location-based solutions, such as MapQuest for Business, help store owners understand and delight customers.
Below, we’ll explore the benefits of geomarketing for retail leaders and go through ways brick and mortar shops are using geomarketing technologies to improve and enhance customer experiences and store operations.
What Is Geomarketing in a Retail Environment?
Geomarketing collects location data, turns it into actionable insights, and deploys a localized marketing strategy. It helps retailers create targeted messages and expand their market base. At the same time, shop owners use geomarketing to cross-sell or upsell customers during their visit or at the point of sale.
Why Should Retailers Invest in Geomarketing?
Stiff competition makes it tough to stand out online or locally. There are 7.9 million eCommerce retailers globally, with 2.1 million of those located in the U.S. Between the decrease in foot traffic and an increase in expenses, 12,200 U.S. stores closed in 2020.
As consumers searched for safe and convenient shopping options, digital-first eCommerce sites had the competitive edge. They attract customers wanting personalized care, convenience, and delivery options. However, geomarketing can be the technology that levels the playing field.
Geomarketing is a solution that spans across channels and departments. It helps retailers:
- Boost brand awareness online and in-store
- Improve search engine rankings
- Discover trends in specific geographic areas
- Develop relatable and relevant campaigns
- Increase their customer base and revenue
- Deliver consistently excellent customer experiences
- Build better relationships with shoppers
Everyday Retail Uses for Geomarketing Solutions
According to Adobe Analytics, curbside orders grew by 208% during the pandemic, and “59% of customers say they would like to continue curbside pickup after the pandemic.” Therefore, navigation and routing tools are essential to brick and mortar stores.
Moreover, designing incredible online experiences starts with understanding your market. Location-based solutions offer details about specific areas and the people that live and work in those spaces. It helps retailers offer personalized promotions to nearby consumers and upsell to existing customers.
MapQuest for Business provides application programming interfaces (APIs) that support modern retailers’ needs. Backed by comprehensive documentation and best-in-class support, eCommerce shops and brick and mortar locations can deploy location-based technologies efficiently.
Popular APIs and use cases consist of:
- Static Map API: Develop a custom map for your website without embedding or writing code to highlight point of interest (POI) icons, routes, and traffic data.
- Geocoding API: Connect the Geocoding API to your online ordering system and routing applications to assist with address verification and route optimization.
- Search Ahead API: Improve your potential customers’ search experience with autocomplete predictive search functionality, which provides address and place suggestions.
- Routing API: Save money on local deliveries by giving drivers tools to view real-time traffic data and enhance their routes.
- Directions API: Ensure seamless experiences for your click and collect customers with custom routes to your store location, including roadwork overlays.
- Search API: Give website users and your team access to various datasets and perform spatial searches to uncover information for decision-making.
- Mapping API: From street maps to satellite imagery, the Mapping API is an excellent foundation for your geospatial applications.
- Traffic API: Provide additional details to delivery drivers and customers by displaying construction zones, traffic flow, and incidents for a specific area.
Discover How Geomarketing Changes the Retail Landscape
Retailers face immense challenges and competition. But the right tools can guide your marketing activities and deliver an impressive return on investment. The MapQuest for Business APIs integrate into your existing tech stack, allowing store owners to improve operations and experiences. Explore geomarketing solutions by connecting with our MapQuest for Business team.
Join Our Mailing List
Subscribe to our mailing list for first access to industry news, blog posts, and more.